By RUE MORGUE STAFF
The long-awaited hi-def disc debut of the cult-favorite 1982 satirical slasher film comes with a bunch of fresh extras.
Shout! Factory releases writer/director Jack Sholder’s ALONE IN THE DARK on a Collector’s Edition Blu-ray September 14 under the Scream Factory banner. Jack Palance, Donald Pleasence, Martin Landau, Dwight Schultz, Erland van Lidth, Deborah Hedwall, Elizabeth Ward and Lee Taylor-Allan star; the synopsis: “At a secluded mental institution, electricity fuels the asylum’s hi-tech security system that keeps the nearby neighborhoods safe from menaces like Frank Hawkes [Palance] and “Preacher” [Landau]. Dr. Bain [Pleasence] maintains strict order while a new doctor, Dan Potter [Schultz], arrives in town with his family. But the inmates don’t take kindly to Potter’s presence and believe he has killed off their former therapist. Suddenly, a power outage leaves the town in chaos…and now the maniacs are free to roam the streets and hunt down the man they believe has invaded their lives. With the area quickly descending into riots and chaos, the innocent few must fight for their lives when they’re left terrified, cornered and ALONE IN THE DARK!”
The movie is presented in a new 2K 1.85:1 scan of the interpositive, accompanied by these special features:
- NEW “Out of the Dark”: an interview with director and co-writer Jack Sholder
- NEW “Mother Choppers: The Sic F*cks Remember ALONE IN THE DARK”
- NEW “Sites in the Dark: The Locations of ALONE IN THE DARK”
- NEW Audio commentary by genre film critic Justin Kerswell and film historian Amanda Reyes
- Audio commentary by director Jack Sholder
- “Bunky Lives!”: an interview with actress Carol Levy
- “Still F*cking Sick”: Catching up with the The Sic F*cks
- Theatrical trailer
- TV spot
- Radio spots
- Still gallery
Retail price is $34.98, and the disc can be pre-ordered at the Shout! Factory website for $28.43; these orders come with an exclusive 18 x 24” rolled poster of the new cover art while supplies last.