By MICHAEL GINGOLD
Tobe Hooper’s classic is about to look better than ever, accompanied by a new documentary and lots more.
Dark Sky Films has announced that THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE will be released in a director-approved 4K restoration on UHD, plus a Steelbook edition, on February 28. Each will be a two-disc set, containing over 400 minutes of bonus features:
Disc One (UHD):
- Audio commentary by writer/producer/director Tobe Hooper, actor Gunnar Hansen and cinematographer Daniel Pearl
- Audio commentary by actors Marilyn Burns, Allen Danziger and Paul A. Partain with production designer Robert Burns
- Audio commentary by Tobe Hooper solo
- Audio commentary by Daniel Pearl, editor J. Larry Carroll and sound recordist Ted Nicolaou.
Disc Two (Blu-ray):
- New, never-before-seen feature-length documentary The Legacy of THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE
- “The Cinefamily Presents FRIEDKIN/HOOPER,” a conversation about the film between Tobe Hooper and THE EXORCIST director William Friedkin
- “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Shocking Truth”
- “Flesh Wounds: Seven Stories of the Saw”
- A tour of the TEXAS CHAINSAW house with Gunnar Hansen
- “Off the Hook with Teri McMinn”
- “The Business of Chain Saw: An Interview with Production Manager Ron Bozman.”
- Deleted scenes and outtakes
- Blooper reel
- Vintage TV and radio spots
And much more. Retail prices are $44.98 for the regular edition and $54.98 for the Steelbook.
How can the director have approved the 4K restoration, he has been dead since August 2017. Or did he do it back in 2017 because he knew it would come out eventually?