By MICHAEL GINGOLD
One of the most memorable screen finales in all of the ’70s occurs in THE DEVIL’S RAIN, and you’ll be able to see it in high definition this Halloween as the movie comes to Blu-ray.
Directed by Robert Fuest of the DR. PHIBES films, THE DEVIL’S RAIN will be issued on Blu-ray October 31 by Severin Films. Originally released in 1975, it stars William Shatner, Ernest Borgnine, Eddie Albert, Keenan Wynn, Tom Skerritt and Ida Lupino, with John Travolta in a small role (his film debut) and Church of Satan founder Anton LaVey as a technical advisor! Borgnine plays a Satanist leading a group of followers in attempting to steal a devilish book from a family, and whose victims’ souls are kept in a glass container called “The Devil’s Rain.” It all leads up to that flesh-melting conclusion, which became a classic drive-in moment. The movie’s first-time-ever hi-def restoration will be accompanied on the Blu-ray by:
- Audio commentary by director Robert Fuest
- “Confessions Of Tom”: Interview with actor Tom Skerritt
- “The Devil’s Makeup”: Interview with special FX Artist Tom Burman
- 1975 archive interview with actor William Shatner
- “First Stop Durango”: Interview with script supervisor Ana Maria Quintana
- “Consulting with the Devil”: A conversation with the High Priest and High Priestess of the Church of Satan
- “Hail Satan!”: Interview with Anton LaVey biographer Blanche Barton
- Filmmaker/horror collector Daniel Roebuck on THE DEVIL’S RAIN
- On-set Polaroid gallery of script supervisor Ana Maria Quintana, accompanied by radio spots
- Theatrical trailer
- TV spots
- Poster/still gallery
The disc comes with reversible cover art, and a limited-edition (1,500 units) numbered slipcase with alternative artwork will be available exclusively at Severin’s website. In addition, Severin and the Church of Satan’s merchandising arm, iSatanist, have collaborated to produce a pendant necklace recreating the stained glass window featured in the movie, available in a “Prince of the Abyss” bundle.