By MICHAEL GINGOLD
One of the all-time great horror remakes is coming to Collector’s Edition Blu-ray as a jam-packed special edition for Halloween; read on for the complete specs!
THE BLOB, director Chuck Russell’s 1988 reimagining of the ’50s favorite, will be released by Shout! Factory October 29 on the Scream Factory label. Written by Russell and Frank Darabont, the film, which pits Kevin Dillon and Shawnee Smith against an ever-growing carnivorous slimeball, will be presented in 1080p high-definition 1.85:1 widescreen with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio. Bonus features are:
- NEW Audio commentary by director Chuck Russell, special effects artist Tony Gardner and cinematographer Mark Irwin, moderated by filmmaker Joe Lynch
- NEW Audio commentary by actress Shawnee Smith
- Audio commentary by director Chuck Russell, moderated by film producer Ryan Turek
- NEW “It Fell From the Sky!”: An interview with director Chuck Russell
- NEW “We Have Work to Do”: An interview with actor Jeffrey DeMunn
- NEW “Minding the Dinner”: An interview with actress Candy Clark
- NEW “They Call Me Mellow Purple”: An interview with actor Donovan Leitch Jr.
- NEW “Try to Scream!”: An interview with actor Bill Moseley
- NEW “Shot Him!”: An interview with cinematographer Mark Irwin
- NEW “The Incredible Melting Man”: An interview with special effects artist Tony Gardner
- NEW “Monster Math”: An interview with special effects supervisor Christopher Gilman
- NEW “Haddonfield to Arborville”: An interview with production designer Craig Stearns
- NEW “The Secret of the Ooze”: An interview with mechanical designer Mark Setrakian
- NEW “I Want that Organism Alive!”: An interview with Blob mechanic Peter Abrahamson
- NEW “Gardner’s Grue Crew”: Behind-the-scenes footage of Tony Gardner and his team
- Theatrical trailers
- TV spot
- Still gallery
Retail price is $29.99, and the Blu-ray can be pre-ordered for $28.43 at the Shout! Factory website.