By MICHAEL GINGOLD
Last year’s slasher standout is coming home fully loaded.
Universal Pictures Home Entertainment is bringing the Blumhouse production FREAKY to digital platforms January 26 and Blu-ray and DVD February 9 in a Killer Switch Edition. Kathryn Newton, Vince Vaughn, Celeste O’Connor, Misha Osherovich, Uriah Shelton and Katie Finneran star in the movie, which was directed by Christopher Landon from a script he wrote with Michael Kennedy. The synopsis: “High school senior Millie [Newton] is just trying to survive being the unpopular kid when she becomes The Butcher’s [Vaughn] next target. Their fateful encounter gets twisted and they wake up in each other’s bodies. Now looking like a towering psychopath, Millie learns she only has 24 hours to reverse the curse and get her body back before the switch becomes permanent and she’s trapped in the form of a middle-aged maniac forever. With some help from her friends–ultra-woke Nyla [Celeste O’Connor], ultra-fabulous Joshua [Misha Osherovich] and her crush Booker [Uriah Shelton]–Millie races against the clock to reverse the curse while The Butcher discovers that having a female teen body is the perfect cover for a little Homecoming killing spree.”
The digital, Blu-ray and DVD editions will all be accompanied by the following special features:
- Feature commentary by co-writer/director Christopher Landon
- Deleted scenes: “The Butcher Lends a Hand,” “Charlene Hears a Rumor” and “Late for the Party”
- “Split Personalities: Millie vs. The Butcher”: Two opposing characters. One killer chemistry! Go behind the scenes to see how Vince Vaughn and Kathryn Newton worked together to bring these two very different characters to life and how they created distinct personal traits for both. This piece will focus on the magnetism between Vaughn and Newton, and how that chemistry raised the stakes for two characters stuck in such a strange situation.
- “Crafting the Kills”: This feature will take viewers into the “Wood Shop” set to see how all of the various elements and departments come together to create an extraordinary kill that fans will talk about for years to come. We will also discuss the inspiration behind this bilateral bisection, what makes it both fun and horrifying, and how it is different from anything else you have seen in other horror films.
- “Christopher Landon’s Brand of Horror”: Blending horror and comedy is a difficult task that not many can achieve, but Christopher Landon has proven time and time again that he is uniquely skilled at it. FREAKY is no different. Learn how Christopher’s vision brought new energy to the concept and elevated the story, all while creating a fun and proficient working environment. This behind-the-scenes look at how he weaves humor and gore together will give fans an intimate understanding of why a Christopher Landon film is a genre of its own.
- “Final Girl Reframed”: The concept of a “Final Girl” is nothing new in the horror genre. However, Millie isn’t your typical Final Girl. We take a closer look at all the ways FREAKY takes your genre expectations and smashes them.