By MICHAEL GINGOLD
Dario Argento’s masterpiece will receive its ultimate showcase when Synapse Films brings its award-winning restoration to a 4K UltraHD two-disc set. We’ve got the scoop, exclusive comments on the details and the first look at the packaging, featuring new original art by Wes Benscoter!
This new UHD edition of SUSPIRIA will hit November 19, showcasing Synapse’s exclusive 4K restoration of the uncut, uncensored Italian 35mm camera negative, with color correction supervised and approved by cinematographer Luciano Tovoli and presented in true 2160p. Argento’s chiller about a ballet student (Jessica Harper) discovering grotesque horrors at a European dance academy will also be graced with an all-new Dolby Atmos audio remix and high dynamic range presentation, an Italian 5.1 Surround mix and the original 4.0 1977 English language LCRS sound mix not heard since the theatrical release in 1977, presented in high-resolution DTS-HD MA 96kHz/24-bit audio with newly translated, removable English SDH subtitles. Also included are the alternate all-English opening and closing credits sequences, playable via seamless branching.
“SUSPIRIA is the ultimate genre film to make the jump to UHD,” Don May, Jr., president of Synapse Films, tells RUE MORGUE. “With the beautiful color palette and directional audio, there was no better candidate to set the standard for older catalog titles for this new 4K format. We went back to the original 4K files and basically started over, reconfiguring the theatrical DCI-P3 color space for UHD’s expanded color palette and utilized high dynamic range. I couldn’t believe it was possible, but the film looks even more jaw-dropping. The high dynamic range looks amazing without corrupting the original photographic intent. We also made the decision to add a Dolby Atmos remix for the release, just to have a little fun with the format.”
Included in the package is a Blu-ray of special features:
- Two audio commentaries by authors and Argento scholars Derek Botelho, David Del Valle and Troy Howarth
- “Do You Know Anything About Witches?”: 30-minute SUSPIRIA visual essay written, edited and narrated by Michael Mackenzie
- “Suzy in Nazi Germany”: Featurette on the German locations from SUSPIRIA
- “A Sigh from the Depths: 40 Years of SUSPIRIA”: All-new anniversary retrospective on the making of the film and its influence on cinema
- “Olga’s Story”: Interview with star Barbara Magnolfi
- Original theatrical trailers, TV spots and radio spots
- International Classics’ English “Breathing Letters” opening credit sequence from the U.S. release
Retail price is $59.95. The two-disc set is available for pre-order now at Synapse-films.com and DiabolikDVD.com.