By MICHAEL GINGOLD
Severin Films has another feast for Italohorror fans coming later this summer: A collaboration by three of the country’s top talents and a pair of rampaging-reptile flicks.
Severin has announced that WAX MASK, directed by effects maestro Sergio Stivaletti, produced by Dario Argento and co-scripted by Lucio Fulci, and KILLER CROCODILE, from producer (ZOMBIE) turned director Fabrizio De Angelis, will hit Blu-ray August 27. The former will be available in a Standard Edition and a Limited Edition (4,000 units) with different cover art and an exclusive slipcase and bonus soundtrack CD, and the latter will be out in a Standard Edition and a Limited Edition (also 4,000 units) that comes with an exclusive slipcase and additional disc containing the sequel KILLER CROCODILE 2. MASK has been scanned in 4K from the original negative, while CROCODILE is a 2K scan from the original negative.
MASK, scripted by Fulci (who was originally set to be direct before his death) and Daniele Stroppa, is about grisly murders in a Paris wax museum, and accompanied by a slew of special features:
- Audio commentary by director/special effects artist Sergio Stivaletti and Michelangelo Stivaletti
- “Beyond Fulci”: Interviews with producer Dario Argento, director Sergio Stivaletti, producer Giuseppe Columbo, production designer Massimo Geleng, actress Gabriella Giorgelli and filmmaker Claudio Fragasso
- “The Chamber of Horrors”: Interviews with producer Dario Argento, director Sergio Stivaletti, producer Giuseppe Columbo, production designer Massimo Geleng and actress Gabriella Giorgelli
- “Living Dolls”: Interviews with producer Dario Argento, director Sergio Stivaletti, producer Giuseppe Columbo and actress Gabriella Giorgelli
- “The Mysteries of the Wax Museum”: Interview with effects artist Sergio Stivaletti
- “The Waxworks Symphony”: Interview with soundtrack composer Maurizio Abeni
- “The Grand Opening”: Interviews with producer Dario Argento, director Sergio Stivaletti and producer Giuseppe Columbo
- “Wax Unmasked”: Interview with film writer Alan Jones
- Vintage featurettes: “Behind the Scenes” (22 mins.), “Special Effects” (12 mins.), “On Set with Dario Argento” (4 mins.)
KILLER CROCODILE, written by longtime genre scribe Dardano Sacchetti with effects by spaghetti splatter master Giannetto De Rossi, will come with:
- “Half A Croc”: Interview with makeup effects artist Giannetto De Rossi
- “Italian Crocodiles”: Interview with actor Pietro Genuardi
- “An Italian in Santo Domingo”: Interview with cinematographer Federico Del Zoppo
The disc for KILLER CROCODILE 2, directed by De Rossi himself, will include “Maidens and Flesh Eaters,” a career interview with the effects master. Bundles featuring WAX MASK merch such as a lenticular 5x7 art print, keychain and sticker will be available soon at the Severin webstore.