Cryptic Collectibles

on October 7, 2013 | 8 Comments

In this month’s issue of Rue Morgue, there’s a piece by yours truly on the resurrection of General Mills’ two long deceased Monster Cereals: Frute Brute and Fruity Yummy Mummy. In addition to the products’ reintroduction to the marketplace, fans can also pick up all five Monster Cereals – which of course also include Count Chocula, Franken Berry and Boo Berry – in both contemporary and retro-styled packaging.

Though they were slated for exclusive sale at Target stores in the U.S., some vintage-styled boxes have ended up north of the border. I was recently able to snag a box of each cereal from a speciality food retailer here in Toronto called  The Nutty Chocolatier.

General Mills has done a fantastic job at reproducing the look of the vintage boxes, which were originally issued back in the 1970s and ’80s. The back of the packaging contains contemporary artwork; and the side flaps feature some great Monster Cereals trivia.

For some more Monster Cereal nostalgia, be sure to check out the collection of vintage animated television commercials on YouTube!

Tags: Boo Berry, collectibles, Count Chocula, Franken Berry, Fruit Brute, Fruity Yummy Mummy, Frute Brute, General Mills Monsters Cereals, Halloween, Target

Responses to Cryptic Collectibles: General Mills Monsters Cereals Retro Packaging Now Available!

1. David Goulet says:

Nice pics. I scored two boxes of the Count as well at the Nutty Chocolatier. $10 a box!

I wrote an article about my nostalgia fix too, for Halloween Machine.

2. James Burrell says:

Hey David,

Thanks for the comment! That’s great that you were able to write about the cereals as well.

Yes, it’s a shame the cereals are more expensive for us Canucks, but I’m glad to have had the opportunity to pick up the vintage-styled boxes.

3. M says:

Why say “a local speciality food retailer here in Toronto” and not just tell us WHERE?! That drives this Toronto resident crazy.

• James Burrell says:

Hey M,

Both the contemporary and retro-styled boxes are being sold at The Nutty Chocolatier on Queen St. East (in the Beach). I bought mine a little over a week ago, so hopefully there are some boxes left.

Good luck!

-James

4. Great write up James, I am actually the artist they asked to recreated the retro box art. I am a freelance illustrator who lives in Minnesota, the home of General Mills. This is my fourth project working with the Monster Cereal creatures. Also the most fun. Glad everyone is stoked they are back on the shelves.

-Brent

5. James Burrell says:

Hey Brent,

Thanks for the comment. Wow, I had no idea the retro box art had been recreated. I just assumed General Mills was reusing components of the original artwork. As someone who used to eat the cereal (and cut out the illustrations from the boxes) back in the 1970s, I can say that you did an amazing job at capturing the look of the vintage boxes!

Take care and thanks for stopping by!

- James

• Stephen Brower says:

Thank you Brent for doing such a Great job. Shame though that the manufacturer did not include a prize in package like the 70′s, even a Cheap Retro Glow Sticker… Thanks for bringin’ back the memories.

6. David Goulet says:

Brent your (now empty) Chocula box art is currently on display at my daughter’s Gr 4 class for Halloween. Nice work!