A new series called MONSTERS and MYSTERIES In AMERICA debuted tonight on Discovery’s “Destination America” channel. The first episode, Appalachia, featured some familiar cryptozoo/paranormal creatures such as the Mothman, but also included some lesser-known varieties such as the Sheepsquatch. The show is presented in a docu-drama format with both eye-witness interviews and narration to propel the stories about monsters and legends in specific wilderness regions of the U.S. The film style creates a suitably spooky atmosphere, which is highlighted by suspenseful narration and engaging testimony.
Overall the show is well done, and even though it deals with a few familiar beasts, it provides fresh reports, cool monsters, and spooky visuals. Details of the first two episodes are listed below with future episodes covering other creatures such as the Rougarou (Cajun werewolf), Pope Lick Monster, Black Eyed Children, Fouke Monster, and Skinwalkers.
The series airs Sunday nights at 10pm EST. Be sure to tune in. You never know who you might see on the show!
Appalachia premieres Sunday, March 24 at 10 PM E/P
- Sheepsquatch (Breckenridge County, KY) – The border between southwest Virginia and West Virginia is an area shrouded in mystery and folklore, but few mysteries are more unusual and intriguing than that of the Appalachian white beast known to the locals as Sheepsquatch. Dakota Cheeks and his best friend Ricky Joyce become prey to the legendary white beast during a weekend hunting trip.
- UFO/Little Green Men (Kelly and Hopkinsville, KY) – One quiet summer evening in 1955, the Sutton family farm is invaded by unexpected visitors. The family is hardly prepared for what they encounter – a small, green creature with glowing yellow eyes, about 3.5 feet tall with pointed ears and long arms raised high in the air. And he’s not alone. At first, the family is captivated by this transcendental moment… but evil quickly takes over.
- Mothman (Point Pleasant, WV) – An innocent drive down a country road turns into a nightmare for Faye LaPort and her siblings as they come face to face with the legendary Mothman. Sightings of the Mothman began in 1966 and continued for more than a year, electrifying and baffling the entire region of Point Pleasant, West Virginia. Although the hype has died down since then, the sightings have not.
Pacific Northwest premieres Sunday, March 31 at 10 PM E/P
- Sasquatch (Sierra Mountains, CA / Olympic Mountains, WA) – Within the region’s dark, tightly packed interior, wildlife is so abundant that it’s become the rumored home of an elusive wild creature known as Sasquatch. Many adventurers are drawn to these mountains in hopes of encountering the famed hairy giant, but some confront the monster purely by chance, like Justin Smeja who encountered a family of Sasquatch during a routine hunting trip.
- Shanghai Tunnels (Portland, OR) – Deep underneath the city of Portland lies a maze of underground tunnels. At one time, they were used for transporting goods between businesses and the Willamette River, but recently the possibility of a far more sinister purpose has come to light. Residents claim these underground chambers remain turbulent from the horrors that took place a hundred years ago and visitors claim to see spirits and phantom wolves.
- Flathead Lake Monster (Flathead Lake, Polson, MT) – Resting on the edge of the Pacific Northwest region, Polson is a quaint lakeside town with a mysterious monster resident. For decades, people from all around the world have flocked to Flathead Lake in the hope of spotting an elusive aquatic creature living below the surface. Sightings occur every year, dating all the way back to 1889. Skeptics have questioned the authenticity of these sightings, but to those who have seen it, this monster is very, very real.
Other episodes will feature mysteries in the Ozarks, Badlands, Bayou, and Desert.