Episode 099: GORDON SMITH VOL. I

on January 4, 2013 | 9 Comments

Now playing on The Rue Morgue Podcast: Part One of my interview with Canadian special effects make-up pioneer Gordon Smith. A brief excerpt of this interview ran on Rue Morgue Radio in 2011 but here for the first time is part one of the full 100 minute interview.

In a career spanning nearly 30 years, Mr. Smith has worked on such classic films as the killer rat movie DEADLY EYES (1982), Oliver Stone’s PLATOON (1986), David Cronenberg’s DEAD RINGERS (1988), JACOB’S LADDER (1990), GRAVEYARD SHIFT (1990), NATURAL BORN KILLERS (1994), Guillermo del Toro’s MIMIC (1997), X-MEN (2000) and SPLICE (2009).

An exhibit of Smith’s work is currently showing at Tiff’s Canadian Film Gallery entitled X-MEN MASTER: GORDON SMITH. The exhibit runs until March 31st.

Here’s some pictures I took of Gordon’s former studio:

Heads from JACOB’S LADDER, sculpted by reknowned artist Evan Penny.

The Rat creature from GRAVEYARD SHIFT.

Wolverine from X-MEN. Notice the realistic flesh tone. There’s no make-up on this prosthetic. It’s intrinsically coloured using a silicone-based process developed by Gordon Smith and his team. Unlike latex based prosthetics, this will not lose its colour over time.

Long John from MIMIC.

Puppety Guy from DEAD RINGERS.

From JOHNNY MNEMONIC.

Corpses from PLATOON.

Gordon Smith with the full-body prosthetic for Mystique from X-MEN.

To subscribe in iTunes…

Open iTunes > Hit the ADVANCED tab > select SUBSCRIBE TO PODCAST > and in the window that pops up, enter the following URL:

Then hit OK > And watch as all the episdes of the podcast automagically appear in your iTunes podcast folder!

Tags: gordon smith

Responses to Episode 099: GORDON SMITH VOL. I

1. Owen Garth says:

I know IMDB is not all-knowing, but it doesn’t list any association of Mr. Smith with Johnny Mnemonic. I will have to pop in my copy and watch the credits, I guess.

• FDBK says:

I’m not sure what his involvement was….it’s at his shop so at the very least one assumes it was built there. But a lot of FX shops often see other crews doing work there so who knows….?

• Owen Garth says:

FX Smith Inc. is listed for Prosthetics and Animatronics. This movie is a guilty pleasure for me. A cheesy look at the world of Gibson.

• FDBK says:

I saw it in the theatre and do not recall enjoying it at all….

But I wouldn’t be opposed to giving it another viddy.

• owen garth says:

If you agree to watch it, I will do a write-up on The Mortuary and then you can share your thoughts.

• FDBK says:

Alright – I’ll check it out again – but it’s going in the queue. I have a few things to watch first….

2. Paddy says:

Very interesting interview fdbk mr smith is hilarious, carolco sound like the friggin mob. My mum would never let Jacobs ladder in the house and told me that she would disown me if I ever watched it. That didn’t work out so well. Never mind.

Paddy

• FDBK says:

I’ve never heard anyone react to the movie like that. What was the problem? She thought the film itself had demonic powers?

• Paddy says:

I really don’t no maybe it brought back bad memories if a trip gone wrong or something. I’ve heard some tales from the Grafton club on west derby road in Liverpool that compare to the horrors of the movie maybe that was it! Ill have to give it a go now. It was a movie I had forgotten about until the podcast.